Monday, November 4, 2013


Lindsey was very honest and sincere and told me she would never go offshore in the boat. She was uneasy going across Lake Okeechobee. There is one segment on that leg that you can barely see land. You would have though we were in the middle of the Pacific the way she reacted. Our new plan worked out well, one for me to get the boat out of the waterway and get offshore and two, to get the boat out of the waterway. It is easier sailing offshore. Just put the boat on autopilot and just insure you don’t hit another boat. The waterway requires as much attention as driving on the interstate. Reason three and the best, I rallied two of my best friends and old sailing buddies to sail offshore with me from Ft. Myers to Gulfport, Florida. John and Terry met us in Ft. Myers and Lindsey drove Terry’s car up to St. Petersburg, her promise fulfilled, she was not going offshore.



We set sail out into the Gulf and it was great. Sailing conditions were perfect. We caught a mackerel right away, my first fish on the boat. We sailed all night on an easy broad reach and told old stories the entire time. I have some new material for my next book. The next morning, we motored into Boca Ciega Bay and into Gulfport Marina. The shakedown sail from Brunswick Georgia to here has been compIeted. Stage1 is done. However, if I counted all the stages left to go, it would look like the national debt.




Gulfport is different than Costa Rica. There is a sign that prohibits everything from fishing to having dogs on the dog to staying on the boat. I like living in a country where you can take your dog to a restaurant.


No comments: