Tuesday, December 17, 2013

 In the Tomb

In my last blog, I indicated I would trade places with no one else regardless the discomfort. I may regret saying that. We harvested very little enjoyment on sail from Roatan to Isla Providencia. The wind was in our face and there was lots of it. Rain swayed sideways with the wind and found it’s way into every contour of our dodger/bimini. When I stayed on the boat in Gulfport and went through some heavy rains, I bragged on how dry the boat was. I feel we are in the other side of a Sea World exhibit.

That is behind us and we are now at the beautiful Island of Isla Providencia, about 250 miles north of the Panama Canal. Mr. Bush at customs was helpful and pleasant. The Columbian Coast Guard goes around to every boat in the anchorage and offers a welcome and a promise that they will aid us in any way should we require help. A fifteen-minute taxi ride cost me $20. I forgot the rule that you ask the price before you get in the cab. The people are very nice.

The island is a photographer’s dream. The scenery is what you imagine a South Pacific island to look like. The buildings and houses are colorfully painted. There is a Spanish fort (I believe it is Spanish. I will research) on the island. The island’s history includes stays by Captain Henry Morgan, the pirate.

We now look to the two day (hopefully) trip to Colon, Panama. With luck, it will be downwind or at least more free that what we have experienced. The forecast promises more rain but we expect that. This will be the last passage of the Caribbean for this trip. I am looking forward to getting into the Pacific Ocean. The ocean I consider my home ocean after living in Costa Rica the past five years. I would like to explore Drake’s Bay in south Costa Rica. It is named after Sir Francis Drake. It is difficult to get there by land as the road is long and brutal. Reliant will swing up in there with ease.

I will report as soon as we get to the canal and share with you the experience we have getting through. We sail Wed, Dec 18.

 

17 Deciembre, 2013

Isla Providencia

Columbia

Reliant/Relianto

 

 In between rain squalls
 Shop at LL Bean
The Graduate

No comments: