Sunday, December 29, 2013

 "Hey Gilligan." One of the many deserted islands.
 Fresh Dorado dinner.
 The Panamanian courtesy flag.

Hola from Golfito, Costa Rica. We sailed three days/ two nights to get here from the Panama Canal. We shot out of the Canal Zone with a fresh breeze on a fast broad reach. What the Caribbean deprived us of, the Pacific gave it back. The sailing was fast. The self-steering vane worked perfectly so we didn’t have to steer at all. There was no spray soaking us down. The inside of the boat was dry and there was no rain. It was what passage making is all about. We had the scenery of the Panamanian south coast to our starboard. It appeared desolate with little or no sign of human life. As we rounded back north, past the cape, we entered an ocean littered with small islands and reefs. The ocean was full of life. We saw turtles, manta rays, a snake, birds of all sorts, dolphins, and a sailfish. It was amazing! The sailfish speared itself right up out of the water beside the boat, twice. It then turned and followed my fishing lure I was towing. It didn’t take it though. It was quite a sight. The water was gin-clear. It was a remarkable part of the trip.

We caught a 20-pound Dorado. That is accurate as I had scale with me. I keep a scale with me on travels as we always load up to the max 50 pounds of baggage. My wife, Lindsey, tries to sneak items into my bag so this system keeps her honest.

The boat is in better shape now than when we left. I certainly know more about how to sail her. She has her ways. She is like a mule. When she doesn’t want to go, she will not budge. She loves going downwind. I suppose she is like a person living on welfare and riding the system, she takes the easy way out.

We are taking a bus to my house this afternoon and staying there a few days. Hunter has to get to the airport as we have been gone much longer than we expected. I have 130 miles to sail to the house. We will do that next week. I will keep up the blog as I want to write down some observations and things I was unable to do underway.

Pura Vida,

Glenn the JungleBoy

29 Diciembre, 2013

Golfito

Costa Rica

Reliant/Relianto

 

"I have fallen and can't get up!"
"Ahhh, this is a very comfortable spot."
 There is a Manta Ray in this picture. Look how clear the water is. It is over a mile deep here.
 Sailing in calm air.
"I am going to tell you one more time, you cannot use my razor."

No comments: