Friday, January 3, 2014


Reliant/Relianto in Georgia when we bought her. A long way from here!

Hola from Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica.

I am in my house right now. The trip is not yet complete however. Tomorrow, Lindsey will drive us back to Golfito to bring the boat up to Herradura Bay, near Jaco.  She yet avoids going offshore after hearing about all the fun we had. I got to go surfing and caught a few waves and saw from friends. It has been fun being back but I am ready now to continue on the boat. We have 130 miles to go. It is strange that after all we have been through, I am not tired of roaming around on the boat. I really enjoy making passages. We are more hardened and we know the boat better. It is certainly easier than when we started. I look out onto the Pacific and recall all the atolls and islands that reside as small dots on the chart. They are real and they are in striking distance. I am very pleased that I feel physically up to doing long passages. It was easy to deal with the discomfort and battering when I was in my twenties. I wondered before I left how my body would respond to the strain at age 61. I am pleased to report that it wasn’t that bad. It certainly is easier to make that claim as I sit here in my house warm and dry and rested. The fact remains, I can easily stand up to the rigors of offshore sailing. I forecast that, if we had decent conditions, it would actually be pleasurable. The trip from Panama to Golfito was enjoyable.

I did enjoy watching the Oklahoma Sooners beat Alabama in a college football game (on TV and in Spanish) last night. It was on TV and in Spanish. I love listening to a game in Spanish. They have a distinctly Soccer style when announcing. Those type pleasures are unheard of at sea on a Pearson 35. Just for the record; I am an SEC guy and a Florida Gator. I like watching SEC teams do well but, I just can’t hack Alabama.


I will later analyze the difference between a delivery of a boat and a true vacation cruise, when you get to go when you feel like it. A delivery is more of a project, an attempt to get a boat to a destination quickly.


More later.

Pura Vida,

Glenn the JungleBoy

03 Enero, 2014

Casa de Olas

Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica


Taken by my friend Rob of Hermosa Surf Fotos.  He can be found on Facebook.

Surfing in Costa Rica

 



 This was taken by my friend James of Surfing Nosara. They can be found on SURFINGNOSARA.com.

Rob took this foto as well. Hermosa Surf Fotos.

No comments: