Tuesday, January 21, 2014


The "Vee" of the Bimini in the right side of the photo. A well rested Hunter in the center.
 
The Flying Fish
 
An onboard oddity happened somewhere between Roatan and Isa Mujeres. It was around 2:00 in the morning in the depths of the night watch. Hunter and I shared the responsibility. I was dead beat tired and had rested my head between the “V” of the pipes of the Bimini cover for comfort and rest. Laying your head on pipes for comfort probably sounds incredulous but in the state of misery at that time, it was plausible and logical. The waves were big and slamming spray everywhere. The erratic motion of the boat was constant and wearing. Hunter was seated next to me and gained his comfort by bowing his head until his chin rested on his chest and supported his head.
I was half dreaming and imagining a more comfortable existence when, Bamm!, I was firmly slapped on the back of my head.
“Dammit Hunter, what did you do that for?” I was certain Hunter had pinged the back of my head but I couldn’t understand why.
“I didn’t do anything. I don’t have the energy to do something like that,” he said defensively.
I denied his claim, “What then hit me on the head?”
Suddenly, an officious smell enveloped us. It was a fish smell but foul and odorous. At that instant a buzzing sound erupted from the aft part of the cockpit. It was very dark and it was difficult to see what it was. The sound was that of an electric weed whacker but we knew it wasn’t that. Though very fatigued, I was too curious to not check it out. When I approached the anomaly, it buzzed again. It was a flying fish about nine inches long. It had flown up from the sea, hit my head and landed in the cockpit. I reached down to pick it up when, BZZZZZZZ, it tried to escape by flapping it’s wings. It was like trying to pick up a hummingbird. I worried that I would hurt it’s wings if I picked it up. The problem was solved because it had landed on a boat cushion. I pick the cushion up and flung the arial animal into the sea. Weird things happen offshore.


 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glen, Glad I found your blog on the P35 web site. I spoke with you at the dock in Gulfport FL. I have a P35 yawl at the marina. I hope all goes well with you and I will check your blog to see how you are doing. Good luck and fair winds.

John